Orthopaedic Surgeon, Acupuncturist, Ozone Therapist
Address: 7 K Chiotaki, Chania, Crete, Greece 73134, second floor
Tel/fax: 0030 28210 27494
Mobile Gr.: 0030 6977633131
Mobile UK: 0044 7928085407
Date of birth: 01-01-1963
Place of birth: Athens Greece
- Graduated from secondary school in Hania, Crete, Greece 1980
- Diploma in Medicine from The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens 1987
- Specialised in Orthopaedic Surgery 1996 (Asklipio Hospital and ΚΑΤ General Hospital in Athens, Greece)
- Postgraduate Diploma after a 2 year course on Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine from London AcuMedic 2006
- Master’s Degree in Medical Acupuncture in Beijing and Guangzhou 2006-2008
- Diploma in Ozone Therapy, Milan, Italy
- Nitrox Diploma in diving.
- GMC (The General Medical Council), UK. Membership number: 4243403, licenced for orthopaedic and trauma surgery
- Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery.
- Hellenic Trauma Association
- Ozone Therapy Medical Association (Milan, Bergamo, Italy 2006)
- Hellenic Medical Fund. Member Number: 65790
- Medical Doctor’s Association of Hania, Crete, Greece
- ESSKA (European Society Of Sports Traumatology, Knee surgery & Arthroscopy)
- Member of SAMAG (Scientific Association of Medicinal Acupuncture of Greece).
English: B2 certificate in English language from Cambridge University, UK
French: Diploma Premier Certificat in French
Italian: Diploma in Italian
Participation in the following Conferences:
1) May 29 2008 European Conference on Orthopaedics, Nice, France
2) June 11-14 2008 European Rheumatology Conference, Paris, France
3) September 29-30 2009 Basic Arthroscopy Techniques Workshop, Worcester, UK
4) November 7 2009 WFAS World Conference on Chronic Pain, Strasbourg, France (Presentation: Treatment methods for acute and chronic lumbago and sciatica in a private clinic in Hania, Crete, Greece)
5) May 28-30 ICMART World conference, Riga, Latvia (Presentation: Ways to treat acute and chronic syndromes)
6) October 19-22 2010 National Conference on Holistic Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel (Presentation of a poster on pain management techniques)
7) 2010 International WFAS conference on Pain and acupuncture, Hyatt Regency, San Francisco, Burlingame, CA, USA (Presentation: Treatment methods for acute conditions in a private clinic in Hania, Crete, Greece.)
8) 2012 ICMART Congress on Pain and Related Treatment Methods, Athens, Greece
9) Trainer for two year SAMAG (Scientific Association of Medicinal Acupuncture of Greece) acupuncture training course for doctors and veterinarians.
10) June 26-28 Inter-scientific Symposium on pain- Energy orthopaedics: theory and practice, Athens, Greece
11) September 5-6 2014 AO Trauma Europe Masters course on intramedullary pinning of selected fractures, Munich, Germany
12) 17-18 September 2014 AO Trauma Europe Masters on anatomic products for complex fractures of the elbow, Graz, Austria
13) September 20-23 2014 AO Trauma and Fractures -Arm surgery, performed on cadaverous subjects, Graz, Austria
14) September 19 2014 AO Trauma course- Foot and ankle surgery on cadavers, Graz, Austria
15) October 2-3 2014 Arthroscopic surgery. – Arthroscopy of the shoulder and joint replacement of the shoulder. IRCAD/EITS, Strasbourg, France
16) October 20-21 2014 Surgical arthroscopy of the shoulder, performed on cadaverous subjects, Warwick Hospital and Surgery Centre, West Midlands, UK
17) March 16 2016 Surgical intervention and recovery of the shoulder seminar, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, UK.
18) March 17 2016 Secrets and difficulties faced during a shoulder arthroscopy seminar, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, UK.
19) March 18 2016 Secrets and difficulties faced during a shoulder joint replacement seminar, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, UK.
20) July 3-6 2017 Complex cases of arthroscopy performed on cadaverous subjects. Utrecht, Netherlands
Participation in recent conferences (2017)
21) November 20 2017 Pain workshop (epiduroscopy and artificial disc replacement), Leiden University Medical Centre, Anatomy and Embryology Einthovenweg Department, the Netherlands.
22) November 23-24 2017 Basic principles of knee arthroscopy and cruciate ligament, inner and outer knee corner ligament arthroscopy on cadaverous subjects. Newcastle, UK.
23) November 27-28 2017 Advanced arthroscopic surgery techniques for the ankle and Achilles tendon, ESSKA AFAS, Munich, Germany.
April 1996 – present: Independent Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hania, Crete, Greece.
I perform Discogel surgeries for kyphosis and herniated disc conditions in private clinics of Hania, Crete, as well as IASO and Athens Medical private hospitals in Athens.
In addition, after studying ozone therapy in Milan, Italy I am able to perform ozone treatment for herniated discs and arthritis of the knee as well as the hip.
Furthermore, after a two year postgraduate course in the UK followed by a Master’s degree in China I am able to perform acupuncture treatments to heal all conditions of the human body.
February 16 2013 to 16 May 2013: Worked at the Orthopaedic Clinic of Peterborough City Hospital, UK
September 7 2015 to 28 February 2016, Specialist Registrar for Orthopaedics and Trauma in Poole and Bournemouth Hospital, Dorset, UK
January 15 2018 to 11 February 2018, Specialist Registrar in Trauma and Orthopaedics, Hull Hospital, UK.
Prior Work Experience
24-05-95 to 24-11-95. Six months in Microsurgery and Plastic Surgery at KAT Hospital, Athens, Greece, which specialises in orthopaedics
24-11-1994 to 24-05-1995 Six months in Neurosurgery at Asklipio Hospital, Neurosurgery Clinic, Athens, Greece.
17-11-1993 to 24-11-1994, Speciality trainee in Orthopaedics and Trauma, Asklipio Hospital, Athens, Greece.
15-11-1992 to 17 11- 1993 General Practitioner at Vamos IKA Health Centre, Hania, Crete, Greece.
03-04-1991 to 31-10 1992 Trainee in the Orthopaedic Clinic, Hania General Hospital, Crete, Greece.
03-09-1990 to 26-02-1991, Doctor in the Orthopaedic Clinic, Hania General Hospital, Crete, Greece.
27-02-1990 to 27 02-1991 General Medicine in Vamos Health Centre, Hania, Crete, Greece.
01-05-1990 to 30-09-1990 Doctor in the Renal Dialysis Unit of the General Hospital of Hania, Crete, Greece.
02-10-1989 to 22-12-1989 Trainee in General Surgery at the General Hospital of Hania, Crete, Greece.
13-08-1987 to 13-08-1989 Two years as an enlisted General Doct in the Orthopaedic and Trauma Clinic of the 401 General Army Hospital, Athens, Greece.
I am a qualified orthopaedic surgeon having trained in Greece at the Asklipio and KAT orthopaedic hospitals. After being approved by a tripartite board of professors I became a certified specialist in1996. (This is equivalent to the Fellowship of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons (FRCS))
Since 1996 I have been working privately in Hania, Crete, Greece, as a fully qualified orthopaedic surgeon.
As a leading surgeon I have performed numerous cold steel (knee and hip), as well as trauma (bone fractures) surgeries. I have been involved with total hip and knee replacement operations, performed numerous trauma surgeries as well as microsurgery and operations on the hand.
Throughout this period I have also maintained my own medical practice, covering a wide range of orthopaedic conditions.
As of 2006 I have been running a pain management clinic in a private hospital.
I am an experienced surgeon and able to fulfil all the daily requirements of a busy orthopaedic and trauma medical centre
I am particularly interested in cervical, waist and joint pain management using acupuncture, neurotherapy and laser treatment. I am also in favour of utilizing alternative methods of treatment such as ozone thearpy, prolotherapy and electro-puncture. In addition, I have a strong interest in carrying out operations on the hand, arm, shoulder and full reconstruction (arthroplasty) of the knee or hip as well as arthroscopy of knee injuries and shoulder surgery.
Furthermore, after postgraduate studies in the UK I am able to perform food intolerance and toxicity tests as well as homeopathy treatments.
From September 4 2015 to February 28 2016 I worked as a Speciality Doctor in the Trauma (fractures) and Orthopaedic Surgery Department of Poole and Bournemouth Hospital in Dorset, UK, during which time I followed the roster of duties and surgeries on a full-time basis.
From 15 January 2018 to 11 February 2018 I worked as a Specialist Registrar in the Trauma and Orthopaedics Department at Hull Hospital, UK. During my time there I fully followed the roster of duties and surgeries.
As a qualified orthopaedic surgeon I collaborate with the privately run medical recruitment agency Holt Doctors, which co-operates with numerous large hospitals in the UK.
I always work to achieve the goal of the trauma team, not for my own benefit.
In this manner there is no personal issue or timeline that can distract me while I am on duty.
My primary concern is to finish my medical duties; everything else comes second.
I also believe that improvement in teamwork and communication between hospital departments can improve working conditions and reduce anxiety and stress in the workplace.
Whenever teams of Surgeons communicate and collaborate successfully, patients can benefit due to a reduced stay in hospital, the smooth running of the practice and the reduction in morbidity and mortality. Inadequate communication between employees in the medical sector is the most common cause of unintentional errors and causes 70% of them, 75% of which are undesirable.
Last but not least, it has long been recognised that medicine is a craft, the marvel and creativity of which can be attributed to the interpersonal relationship between the patient and doctor.
To conclude, it is important to understand that patients never care how much knowledge a doctor possesses, they only desire to be cured. Therefore, doctors with good communication and interpersonal skills are in a position to identify problems in time, deter medical crises and costly operations as well as provide patients with optimal support. This can lead to higher quality results, better satisfaction, lower care costs, better comprehension by the patients and, in turn, better conformity with the treatment process.
I am registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK as a Specialized Orthopaedic Surgeon (member number: GMC 4243404) and I make a point of maintaining my currency annually.
Athletics, diving, tai chi, jogging, cycling, chess, yoga, meditation, music and agricultural jobs.